Tuesday, October 9, 2012

October 9, 2012 Nairobi

Greetings

This morning we were off to Nairobi bright and early.  Well not that early it was almost 10 am but that is considered early sometimes.  The road through Kapsabet through Nandi Hills is in really bad condition so we decided to take a detour through Eldoret.  It seems like I have traveled all the major roads in Western Kenya many times now.  I know that I have traveled the Kakamega to Webuye road more then a dozen times in the last three years.  What seemed odd to me was that today was the first day that I was actually able to see Mt. Elgon from Kakamega dominating the horizon.  I have looked in that direction countless times and have never even caught a glimpse of it until we passed the forest in Malava into the crossroads at Matete.  This mountain is huge and today you would have to be blind not to see it.  I have always been fascinated with mountains.  Today I could not take my eyes off this mountain.  Every time it came into view I was looking right at it.  What is it about this particular mountain that fascinates me so much?  Why is it that I chose this mountain to be my backdrop to my blog?  As you gaze upon it she looks like a big pimple on the horizon.  There is nothing that would call attention to it except it is really large.  There are no jagged peaks like the Alps or the Tetons even though Elgon is just as high.  Why was today the first time that I saw it in all its glory from a distance much further then before?

Here is a mountain that does not get any respect or any recognition whatsoever.  Most of you have never heard of this mountain but most of you have heard about Mt. Everest or even Mt. Olympus on Mars the tallest mountain in the solar system.  I am sure that most of you have visions in your head of some mountain or another.  I know I am rambling about a freaking mountain but there is a point to this I think.  Most everyone knows that Everest is the tallest mountain in the world and because it stands the highest upon all the others its recognition is not questioned.  K2 is number two and it gets its recognition by being the most deadly and possibly the most difficult to climb mountain on the planet.  Other mountains such as Kilimanjaro south of here claiming to be the highest free standing mountain in the world gives her the recognition she deserves.  Mt. McKinley in Alaska as the mountain with possibly the highest prominence on the planet gives it the recognition it deserves.  The main island of Hawaii and its two peaks if measured from the sea floor would dwarf Everest by miles and because they too are large they have been given the distinction of being the largest mountain on the planet in volume even though the main island of Hawaii is not one mountain.  Mt. Everest does not stretch for fifty or sixty miles at its base in every direction.  Neither does McKinley, Kilimanjaro, or any of the two peaks of the main island of Hawaii.  I could be wrong and it would take someone much smarter then me to prove the point but I believe that Mt. Elgon is the largest single mountain on the planet.  I am not saying tallest I am saying largest.

If I am correct then why doesn’t Mt. Elgon get the recognition it deserves?  While I was trying to answer my crazy question in my head the “Ones” came up.  Obviously Mt. Elgon was always there but I never saw it from Kakamega until today.  The “Ones” they too have always been there but seldom seen.  Mt. Elgon is huge and gets virtually no attention whatsoever.  The “Ones” well their numbers are huge as well and we see right past them.  Why champion Mt. Elgon?  It is not something spectacular to look at like mighty Everest or McKinley.  It’s just a pimple on the landscape.  The “Ones” well why would anyone want to try and reach anyone at the end of the line when we can show much more progress with those at the front of the line?  The Alps, the Canadian Rockies, the Tetons, Everest, McKinley, and Kilimanjaro are all beautiful sights to see and millions of pictures have been taken of them.  Mt. Elgon well just another mountain.  Pictures of Mt. Elgon go to the web and see how many you see.  The “Ones” well just another poor orphan, widow, etc. not really a picture perfect specimen.

Mt. Elgon the largest mountain on the planet



My call is to serve here in East Africa and Mt. Elgon sits right in the center to remind me of why I am here.  She’s huge and she hides in the clouds coming out to be seen every now and then.  Personally I know she is way too large for me to scale and if I attempted it without God I would surely fail.  I know when I look at her the world will not see her as I see her.  To me she is special.  She is the "One". 
  
Take care and God bless

Dave            

     

No comments:

Post a Comment