Monday, January 14, 2013

January 14, 2013 Uganda

Greetings

We got in pretty late last night from Mumias so I did not write to my blog.  We are heading into Uganda today and will be unable to use my phone or modem to access the world for a few days.

Last night I got back to my room and found a spider in my bed.  It didn’t take very long before I killed two more crawling around.  Today I was out here in the gazebo minding my own business when I felt something big crawling on my neck.  My hand moved a mile a minute to get the critter off my neck.  It was so big and soft it squished bug juices between my fingers and I threw it in the grass.  I tried to look for it but I could not find it.  Maybe it is better that I not know what it was.  Now I continue to sit here typing in fear of another attack.  I purposely kept the windows closed to my room yesterday so no mosquitoes would invade my room.  I am still not convinced on how effective a mosquito net is since they still seem to get inside and bite me.  Nothing more irritating then sleeping and being woke up by that distinctive mosquito sound getting too close.

Yesterday we spent the afternoon at Maurice Ometi’s home discussing the Freedom International micro-finance society and church based Orphan care.  The meeting went very well and they told me that the seminar they had back in October to roll out the micro-finance venture went well too.  As of today the society has about 20 members with quite a few more to join soon.  Each has paid their 300 shilling registration fee and contributing to their savings at 200 shilling per month.  There is also an annual renewal fee of 100 shilling to maintain member status.  The registration and renewal fees are non refundable.  The savings amount is refundable less any deficit taken out as loans.  Each member will be able to take out loans up to four times the share value.  They have written their by-laws, constitution, and have the committee established.  The finances of the society will be funded by a variety of means.  The sources include donations, registration fees, renewal fees, loan processing fees, interest on loans, monthly share contributions, and loans from investors or other financial institutions.  By all indications the executive committee of Freedom International is most happy that they now have a program in place to help and give some hope for a more comfortable future.

Mrs. Ometi cooked up a chicken, some kale, and ugali.  Very tasty and it actually agreed with me.  After dinner we discussed church based Orphan care and what would it take for the church to start addressing the needs of the church community in regards to Orphans, widows and the truly needy.  I think I struck a cord with the staff in regards to what are needs and what are wants.  They explained to me that their language does not really have a distinction between the two and were very happy that it was explained in English.  It is a common perception that once a Mzungu is involved the flow of riches are sure to follow.  We have conditioned both sides of the pond to act in a certain way.  The more I come here the more I realize that our good intentions are just that “good intentions”.  Without our support any and all projects seem doomed to failure.  Don’t get me wrong I believe giving is a good thing however what happens when the giving stops?  While I was in Maralal I heard of a story on a local Orphan(?) school that had lost its funding and could no longer support its mission.  It appears the funds were cut off because of some abuse of funds by those running the institution.  This is the way we operate, we get burnt we cut off funds.  Does God care if we get burnt?  The command is still there “take care of the Orphans” it is not the kid’s fault the director ran off with the money.  I have come to the conclusion that we humans need to be taken out to the woodshed for a good lesson in humility.  God gives us such simple commands and what do we do?  We have to complicate it with rules, procedures, our own personal beliefs, restrictions, or whatever because we are so smart and we trust no one.  What did Jesus say “ye of little faith” that’s us/me to the tee.  I try to be the obedient follower but I always fall short.  I could go on and on but enough said.  I am tired of getting beat up side the head with the obvious.

Bishop Hezron should be here soon and we are off to Uganda to meet up with Bishop Moses to talk Orphan care for a few days.  Trust me we are going to take the simple command and we will complicate it with our ways because that is what we do.

Take care and God bless

Dave 

No comments:

Post a Comment