Tuesday, July 3, 2012

July 3, 2012

Greetings

What a difference a few months, lots of prayers (thx), and a good amount of rain can do to change our situation in Western Kenya.  Starting almost a year ago we planted the first of twenty seven passion fruit orchards on a 1/5 acre plot that Pastor John Imala had donated to the Kakamega Blessed the Blessed Widows group.  We went into this with very high hopes for a future income for the forty something widows of the group.  If you have been following along with my blogs for the last year you know that this plot of seventy something vines has had its ups and downs.  Right now I do not know what to think and how to really tell the story.  Let me see if I can give a quick history in a sentence or two.  We planted some vines, some lived, some died, the widows planted some kale, we replanted the dead, the widows disappeared, the rains did not come as expected, we still could not find the widows, the orchard went to weeds, some of the widows came back, the widows cleaned up the orchard, the widows planted some maize, the rains came again, the orchard is now a mixture of maize and passion fruit vines.  Pastor John Imala had planted maize with his orchard too.  Conventional wisdom told us not to plant maize with the passion fruit.  However while the passion was struggling the maize grew well and now there will be a harvest of maize later this month.  The income will in turn help the Blessed the Blessed Widows group and the eighty or so Blessed the Blessed Early Childhood Development Center children.  Not sure what is going to happen after the maize is harvested.  I hope to be kept in the loop and I will report as I get the info.

Kakamega widows orchard last July



Kakamega widows orchard today




In order for the first plot to be viable and to get enough fruit to take to market it was decided that we needed more then seventy vines.  We decided to plant another six thousand vines over another twenty six orchards scattered across Western Kenya.  We planted on Mt. Elgon (2), Bulimbo (3), Busia (3), Bungoma (4), Mumias (6), and a few areas around Kakamega/Shibuli (9).  Nine months ago I returned to Kenya for a month to help get this done.  Again if you have been reading my blogs you will know that the rains did not come as planned last November and December.  I have been getting scattered reports for the last six months telling me that some of the vines had died and some had lived.  In my last blog I sadly reported that one of our plot stakeholders Stephan and his wife died in an accident.  No one was left to attend the plot and it is a complete loss.

Now by Gods grace and your prayers I can report some great news.  The rains finally returned a few months ago in Western Kenya and some of the surviving passion fruit vines have started to produce fruit.  I got a report yesterday that Mumias, Bungoma, and Kakamega are starting to harvest the first fruits and Pastor Robert has been requested to start helping get the fruits to market.  We lost the one plot in Bulimbo.  Pastor Robert in Bulimbo was the last to plant his seedlings however his vines are at that wire and branching out.  Pastor Robert has told me that he was able to maintain most of his seedlings and only lost a few to the drought.  Pastor Ososo had reported from Busia that he had lost some vines but the survivors are doing well now.  The other two plots in Busia I am not sure about.  I have not heard the status of the two orchards on Mt. Elgon yet. 

Bishop Hezron reported the other day and sent me some pictures of his wife Melissa’s orchard in Shibuli and a great success story on Pastor Ambula’s orchard in Kakamega.  Melissa’s orchard is doing well.  Many of the surviving vines are at the wire, branching out and starting to produce fruit.  Pastor Ambula’s plot ended up being a combination of Pastor Morris’s plot and his.  Pastor Morris was unable to get his plot ready before the planting and the seedlings were then allocated to Pastor Ambula whom just so happens to be Pastor Morris’s uncle.  I am told that Pastor Ambula has done some fine work with his orchard.  He recently took some of his fruit to an agricultural show in Kakamega and won an award for his fruit.  He has also been picked as a show orchard for other farmers in and around Kakamega to visit.  Between Pastor Morris and Pastor Ambula’s churches their allotment was around six hundred seedlings.  I am not sure how many had died but according to the pictures his orchard looks great.  The pictures are great to see but I am even more anxious to get over there to see the results first hand.  As of right now my plans are to return to Kenya sometime mid September into October.

Melissa Okaba's orchard in Shibuli



Looks great more vines taking shape



Pastor Ambula's daughter and the orchard



Passion fruit



I see purple passion fruit almost the color of harvest



To me this is great news and a long time coming.  I want to give all the glory to God.  For without him none of this would have happened.  Some people believe in coincidences however I am not one of them.  Four years ago this summer I met Bishop Hezron and Pastor Ososo.  The sequence of events I have seen and lived through since that time are at least to me mind numbing.  Most of the time I feel so out of my comfort zone it ain’t funny.  I do not feel adequate to the task and failure is always on my mind.  The deeper I get into this the more terrifying it becomes.  Sometimes I wonder if this is all really happening and all the questions that come with it.  I have a hard time answering them in my mind.  The biggest question of all is “Y” “Y” “Y” why is this happening?  However when I get news like this it really confirms that there is a God, His grace is upon us, and there is hope out there for those less fortunate then ourselves.  I am honored to be serving as His hands here on earth.

Thank you all for your prayers, and comments they are greatly appreciated.

Dave 

      

1 comment:

  1. wow dave looks cool I was onedering what the vine when ripe would look like Bob

    ReplyDelete