Thursday, September 27, 2012

September 27, 2012 Kakamega

Greetings

Yesterday after my return from the orchards I decided to go and have some beef filet.  I think I have said it before but I will say it again.  Ordering beef filet is a tricky business.  I must say most of the time I get a piece of meat that is flavored very well and as with last night you can cut if with a fork.  Sometimes I am not so lucky and get a piece of someone’s shoe.  While I was sitting down last night to write my blog and get a meal I sat at a table next to a group of five missionaries from the states.  One of them turned around and struck up a conversation.  Again I do not believe in coincidences and God had put us together at that very moment to meet each other.  It just so happens that this group is providing low to no interest micro-loans through local micro-bankers to fund various projects world wide.  The group is called Heavens Family and they are out of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.  They were in Kakamega to look at some of the area projects that their area micro-banker was initiating.  They invited me to join them to view two of their projects today and I gladly accepted.

Heavens Family is much further along then we are and I was so appreciative to gain such a wealth of knowledge today from all of them.  This morning after breakfast we went to look at a tomato greenhouse that had just been erected outside of town.  Part of their program is to use farming techniques from an organization Care of Creation that our group in 2009 had visited when Care of Creation was based at Brackenhurst.  So I was quite familiar with the concept and had seen the results when we visited Craig back in 09.  Now I got to actually see the application in the field.  The greenhouse is the project of a group of ten widows whom have each taken ten percent to stay within the limits of the programs loan limits.  I believe the total cost of the project was about two grand without the Care of Creation training that Heavens Family provides.

Maize at Care of Creation in Brackenhurst 2009



Heavens Family tomato greenhouse project Kakamega



Inside view of tomato greenhouse with widows



Dick Samuels of Heavens Family addressing widows



After the tomato greenhouse we came back into Kakamega to see a new sewing center of a group of about twenty widows.  If anyone is interested to see more of this organization you can visit their web site at www.HeavensFamily.org and tell them Dave sent you.  Sadly the group was only in town for the rest of today.  They were on their way up to Bungoma and Kitale to view some projects being implemented by that area micro-banker.  Thank you Heavens Family for allowing me to spend the morning with you reviewing your projects.  It is much appreciated.

Inside the sewing center with Pastor John and widows



Two of the widows at the sewing center



After the projects it was back to the Sheywe to capture all the thoughts racing through my mind and asking God what that was all about.  It still amazes me that while I am in the states I can go eons with virtually no idea on what God has in mind.  It’s like being in a void.  I work and I sleep.  But once I get into mission mode the doors start to open, bells start to ring and the action begins.  It is as if my every step has already been planned out ahead of time.

I did get a chance to talk with Hezron today about orphans and street children in Uganda.  Hezron has a good 30 years of experience working in orphan care throughout the countries of Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Rwanda, Burundi, and The Congo.  As I continue to read my other assignment “The Orphan Report” I will continue to ask questions of my friend to help me prepare for our journey into Uganda in a few weeks.

As promised I am including a few more pictures of the orchards from yesterday.  I did not mention that right before we were to head back to Kakamega from Bulimbo yesterday Pauline had stopped by to see us.  Pauline had some personal issues with her family and had to leave for an extended time and had asked someone to take care of her orchard while she was gone.  The caretaker did not do a very good job and virtually all of her vines had died.  Robert was gracious enough to replace all of her seedlings so she could start over.  She doesn’t have to walk very far to see the results of a well maintained orchard.

Pauline and her orchard



Pastor Robert and Bishop Hezron at Pastor Roberts Orchard



View of Pastor Roberts orchard other direction



Another picture of the Mumias widows orchard



Another picture of Charles's orchard



As you know we lost one of our passion fruit farmers Stephan and his wife in a car accident earlier this year.  I asked Robert what had happened and he said they had been killed in a head on collision with a semi-truck.  The truck actually ran over them since they were in such a small car.  Such a horrific tragedy and they left behind a few children that are now living with their grandparents.  It sounds as if the children are in good hands and will be adequately taken care of.  Please keep this family in your prayers.

Tomorrow I will continue to do some reading since I acquired another book to read.  Luckily is looks pretty short.  I was told that once I read it I would be compelled to take off all my clothes and give them away.  I will however keep a pair of shorts and maybe a tee shirt.  Also some shoes because the rocks here are pretty pointy and my feet are so delicate.

Take care and God bless

Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment