Saturday, May 7, 2011

Last night in the states

Hi all.

First I would like to thank all of you that have been checking out my blog.  I checked my stats and I have had hundreds of page views so far.  I do not know if that is good or bad but I think it's great.  Most of the hits have come from the US but I have also had some from Kenya, Uganda, Zimbabwe, Great Britain, and Germany.  Switzerland where are you?  Again thanks to all of you that have taken a look.  It has become obvious that people only look when there is an update.  This will be my last update until I arrive in Nairobi on Sunday night.  After I arrive my goal is to update every day.  So come Monday put my blog in your favorites, tell your friends, and look every day.  I have my Safaricom Modem and I would assume that it will work most every where I go.  I am not sure about Uganda and Tanzania.  So please tell your friends and keep looking.  Thanks.

Well it is my last night in the states.  My bag is packed but I need to get a little more stuff in it.  I am afraid that when I go to zip it up the next person (TSA) will not be able to get it closed again.  I put a multi-meter in my suitcase for some electrical work in Maralal and I really hope they notice it and question what it is.  Makes me feel better if they (TSA) see wires and check it out.  My luck they will keep it.

Pastor Ososo has already suggested that we check out the orphanage project in Matasia first thing Monday morning.  This is a group of about a dozen orphans that are roasting seasoned ground nuts (spanish peanuts), sesame honey balls, packaging, and selling them on street corners every day for about 5 shillings a bag or cone (81 ksh = $1)  What they sell goes to clothe and feed the children.  Any extra goes into their savings to help buy the plot of land they need to build a permanent shelter for the children.  The children sell out of product every day.  Their issue is the lack of roasting capacity, packaging and supplies.  They feel that if they had a larger roaster they could produce more to meet the demand of their customers.  They would like to expand into some of the local markets.  In order to sell in the stores the product has to be sealed properly in the plastic bags.  Presently they have to run the bag over a lit candle to melt the bag and seal it with their fingers.  The problem is the flame sometimes puts a hole in the bag or does not get a very good seal and the bag opens up.  Not to mention it is really not a good idea to be heating a bag on a candle and closing it with your fingers.  I did it and it was hot.  This visit I will spend more time looking at the economics of this project but as it is 100 bags of ground nuts nets about $6 in sales.  I do not know the cost of supplies at this time but I do recall that the sealable bags, bulk ground nuts, and other supplies were very expensive.  To me this is a project that has been working to help support the children.  Many hours are spent at night preparing for the next days sales.  Along with school and selling the product the days are pretty long for these children.  During my last visit they were just as happy as can be.  It was such a joy to see that given their circumstance they got so excited when the roaster came out at night.  I also watched as the older child leader clip board in hand give out the days assignment to the eager sales force.  To be honest while I was watching these children I couldn't help but think that this would not no way happen in the states.  I also remember that they had a form of forcasting based on previous street corner sales.  They also have regular customers that buy the ground nuts every day on their way home from work.  Stay tuned hopefully Monday or Tuesday night I should be able to provide pictures and a detailed report of the wonderful things these children are doing to help themselves.

Thank you and God bless you all

Dave






      

No comments:

Post a Comment