Thursday, January 26, 2012

January 26, 2012

Hi all

Just got an email from Mayor Ben in Funyula on Councilor Magangu's orchard.  As for Councilor Magangu we added an extra plot (75 seedlings?) at the last moment because the soil on his property looked very much different then the other areas we had planted.  I wanted to see how the seedling did on such rich looking soil.  Ben tells me that is is very hot and dry right now.  The Busia area is much lower in elevation (Lake Victoria) then the other areas of western Kenya so the temperature is more reflective of being on the equator.  The lack of rain is keeping the plants from growing faster.  As for the pictures he sent me they look very green and are working their way up the sticks.  These plants are about three months old and to me 8000 miles away they look healthy.

Councilor Mabangu's Passion Fruit Orchard



Good use of Kale within the orchard


Ben tells me that he was not able to visit Pastor Ososo's or Pastor Odongo's plots just yet.  As I get more pictures and reports I will keep you all informed.  I have still not heard of what happened to the widow's in Kakamega but I assume that the two plots that we had planted for them are being taken care of.  This waiting and not being in Kenya at this time is really taking it's toll on my emotions.  I feel completely helpless and the burden of possible failure(s) is almost too much to take.  There are two planting seasons in Kenya for their cash crop Maize.  We have taken one of their seasons and are now approaching the next.  I cannot think of what happens if these orchards do not produce an income for our friends in Kenya.  So if you do not mind please keep the passion fruit in your prayers.  As for me a little prayer for me won't hurt.

Take care and God bless you all.

Dave  

No comments:

Post a Comment