Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Day 38 Kakamega June 15, 2011

Greetings

Yesterday I found out that my source for passion fruit will not be able to supply any seedlings for at least another month.  All his seedlings are needed to plant his orchard and it takes a while for the grafting to take hold.  So this morning I had Hezron take me back to the Kenya Agricultural Research Institute to talk with the nice lady that helped us last time.  Between her and a local owner of a nursery that John Omala knows I believe we will be able to come up with the 174 grafted yellow to purple seedlings that we need.  While at the Institute Hezron was admiring the bananas that were sitting on the floor.  As we were leaving Hezron decided that he had to have the bundle of bananas.  You know bananas are really cheap here.  Here is a picture of his take and it cost less then 3 bucks.

3 bucks what a deal



After we left KARI we headed to the orchard site where the widows had finished with digging the last of the support post holes.  I gave the last of the payment money to the Chairlady so she could pay the widows that did the work.  While we were there we decided to measure the plot that John wants to convert to passion fruit and it measured 22 meters by 92 meters.  So this plot only looks to be about one half acre.  I will plot it out to see how many plants we can get out of it.

Half the support posts done and all the holes



After we left the orchard site we headed into town and made a stop at Opportunity micro-loans to talk with the loan officer about their loan processes.  After this we went to visit with a guy that could possibly help us get some passion fruit seedlings this weekend and possibly help us with using his CBO (community based organization) to provide getting the funds needed here in Kenya.  Then it was back to the guest house where I met up with another few guys to talk about partnering with their NGO’s to help with finding a way to get money here to loan out.

Tomorrow I will meet with Peter, Alex, and Joe again.  I will also work some other ways to find a way to get funds here to fund projects.  I would also like to go back to John Omala’s place tomorrow because he is having a prayer meeting with quite a few local pastors associated with CFO to discuss his trip to the states.  However I am running out of time and all I can do is pray that God will open the doors needed to full fill this mission.  It’s like so many times everything is going great then whack smack into a wall.  I have to keep reminding myself that it’s not my time but his.  Brian if you are reading this you asked what to pray about.  Well buddy I could use it now.

Take care and God bless

Dave   

No comments:

Post a Comment