Monday, October 10, 2011

Day 24 October 10, 2011 Nairobi

Greetings

Yesterday I could not get on the internet again so I did not even try to post.  Yesterday I spent all day going over the last of the calculations and documents for the 27 orchards.  Also yesterday Hezron and Robert joined me at the guest house and I showed Hezron and Robert how I wanted the chemicals packaged.  I showed them to how to measure each of the chemicals and put them in bags and plastice bottles based on the amount needed at each feed for each orchard.  Example the widow's in Mumias have 246 vines.  One of the fungicides is called Ridomil and is to be applied after one month every two weeks if needed up to the third month.  There can only be a maximum of 3 applications in the two month window.  The amount of Ridomil per feed is 61.5 grams in 24.6 litres of water.  So we package 61.5 grams in a zip lock bag and marked it Mumias Widows, Ridomil, 64.5 grams.  I have prepared a chemical worksheet for each of the 27 orchards with the right amount and instructions for chemical on each plot.  There is another fungicide that is put on at the 2 month mark for one application.  Then there is another fungicide that is used from months three thru six for a maximum of 5 applications.  There is also an insecticide and a miticide.  We also have fertilizer and a foliar that will help with the maturing of the vines.  After the first six months up to harvest has one set of chemicals and then as the orchard starts to harvest another set of chemicals will be needed on the mature vines through the life of the vine.  They all will be given a list of the chemicals that will be needed after the start of harvesting but it is not included in our project since once they start to harvest we are looking for them to maintain their own orchard with the earnings of the orchard.  God is great.

I am leaving the country and I have done the best I can to get all the resources and instructions to continue until harvest next March.  I have left some money for training, transportation, and some spare money in case we have a problem somewhere and they need to fix it.  Some more seedlings will be planted  later this week and then again next week.  We are looking to do the training either next week or the week after.  We were successful in planting all the orchards under our budget.  We used the rest of the budget money to pay for transport, training, extra costs, and some spare in case of emergency.

Today I got up at four thirty to get ready for the start of my long journey home.  My taxi was waiting at five am sharp to take me to Kisumu International Airport for my flight to Nairobi.  After a little over an hour we were in Kisumu.  No police on the road when it is dark.  The flight from Kisumu thru Eldoret was uneventful except no one wanted to sit next to me.  There was one empty seat on the plane and it was next to me.  I did take a shower this morning before we left? 

After arriving in Nairobi at nine thirty Pastor Ososo was waiting patiently outside and we rented a driver for the day.  We were then off to Matasia to visit a while before we had to head back to town to drop Pastor Ososo off so he could catch a bus to Kampala, Uganda and myself to the airport.  On the way to Matasia we were going by the Ngong road Nakumatt center and behold the Colonel on a big KFC sign.  Kenya has hit the big time.  We did not have time to stop and my craving is for spicy chicken and even though I like KFC I will be home in many hours and I can have whatever I want.  Maybe next time I will have to stop and see if the secret recipe has made it across the pond.

After our visit at Pastor Ososo's home we were off.  We took Pastor Dave back to the Huruma slum.  You know I have been in all major slums in Nairobi including Huruma several times.  But this time it seemed much different.  I am not sure if the driver took a different route but we were deep into the slum and he rolled up my window for my protection.  Personally I did not feel threatened but it looked and smelled much different then the previous times I had visited.  This time I noticed much more refuge piled up everywhere.  The flies and the stench was beyond belief.  People were sitting in their shops with little or no customers looking sad as usual.  Many of the children and many of the shop owners were covered in flies.  My only thought was that if there are billions of flies then somewhere there must be billions of maggots waiting to transform into a fly.   I really thought I was accustomed to the slums since I have been in them quite a few times.  But again going through the Huruma slum today was a real eye opener.  Huruma slum is the second largest slum in Nairobi after Kibera.  After we dropped Dave off we were then off to the airport for my wait to leave Kenya tonight.

I have eaten a hamburger at the Java Cafe and it was pretty tasty.  As I sat there I noticed that the place was packed with about 40 or 50 customers.  Every one of them including me was white.  Where do all these white people go when they are here.  I know when I am traveling around I see very few.  Just an observation.  Anyway my flight is going to be a couple of hours late and luckily I have a five hour layover in Amsterdam.  Should be ok with my flight back to the states tomorrow.  This is my last blog from Kenya on this trip and it has been a real pleasure.  I would like to thank all my hosts for their gracious hospitality while I was here.  Hope to see you all soon.  Good luck with the orchards and my God have his grace on all of you.  I would also like to thank those that have donated to this cause and all that have prayed and continue to pray for these people.  We still have much work to do so please keep these people in your prayers.

Take care and be blessed.

Dave   

No comments:

Post a Comment