Saturday, September 10, 2011

Five days to go

Greetings

Yesterday I had the pleasure of driving on Interstate 80 south of Chicago.  There is one sixty cent toll booth going west and there is one sixty cent toll booth going east.  About a mile or so before the toll booths there are huge signs that tells you that there is a toll booth ahead.  As you approach the toll booth you can see it plain as day.  I would assume that those that are driving can see or at least I hope they can.  There are easy pass lanes and there are the traditional toll booth collectors smoking exhaust all day.  Within plenty of time to the booth there is a sign that tells you that it is sixty cents.  Of course I always look for the shortest line of vehicles including trucks.  This time I was following a dark green Grand Prix and I knew I was in trouble when she started to slow down way before the toll booth.  There were no cars in front of her.  I was wedged between two trucks so I was unable to change lanes.  She continued to inch forward slowly and finally stops at the booth and just sits there.  The window is still up and well over a minute (of course it felt like five) goes by before the window goes down and she gives the guy some change.  It is a good thing I am not allowed to pass any laws because I would make one that would only give you a maximum of 15 to 20 seconds to pay your toll or you get hauled off to jail and sit in the cell for an hour.  No I really would not do that but why can’t people have there toll money ready when they get to the booth?

As you all know we had planted 169 passion fruit seedlings for the widow’s in Kakamega earlier this summer.  My understanding is that they are doing very well.  My prayer is that this small orchard will be the start of some real income for these 40 plus women.  Between them all they have virtually nothing.  Being a widow in Kenya is pretty much just that very few if any get remarried because of cultural beliefs.  Many of these widow’s are not very old and still have small children.  Many times they have their property taken by relatives and sent packing.  Pastor John Imala has been so gracious to allow the widow’s to plant the seedlings on his land for them to earn an income.  I pray that this plot will bring in about 13,000 Ksh a week for them.  This is not a lot for 40 women but it much more then they have now. 

Councilor Bianna has given a third of an acre of her and her husbands land for the widow’s to use.  I am not sure if it has been plowed and is actually ready yet but before I leave in October it should be done.  On this plot I have calculated that we can put up to another 300 seedlings for them.  Between the two plots the women should be getting closer to 40,000 shillings a week.  Splitting this among 40 women still only gives them about 1000 shillings a week but in Kenya this is above the average weekly wage.  Hopefully over time they will have other opportunities to take their earnings to acquire more plots or expand into different ventures to make money for themselves.

This is the other third acre plot for the widow's



If you would like to donate and help out with this project or want to help with any of the ministries that I have been talking about you can send a check to:

Olathe Wesleyan Church
15320 S. Ridgeview Road
Olathe, KS 66062

Attn: Dave Wood Kenya Trip

Take care and God Bless

Dave 

No comments:

Post a Comment