Thursday, January 3, 2013

January 3, 2013 Maralal

Greetings

Already missed a days blog.  I had something written while I was waiting for Ken to meet me in Kijabe but I need to tweak it a bit before I publish it.  I seem to be having some real problems getting the stuff out of my brain onto paper (laptop).

Yesterday Ken and I met in Kijabe for the start of our journey to Maralal.  Spent the night in Nakuru and continued today across and up the rift valley escarpment to Maralal.  This was the third time that I have had the pleasure of making the journey.  Let me tell you the scenery is magnificent and along the way there is some wildlife to see here and there.  The road well that is a different story.

Today I saw something very unusual for Kenya.  We were on our way toward Lake Baringo and a car went buy pulling a speed boat.  Mind you this was a pretty nice speed boat that looks exactly like any other speed boat you would see plying the vast number of lakes in the states.  What caught my eye was that it had a big tube in the back you know the ones that people get pulled on behind speed boats.  The lakes of the rift valley are not exactly like our lakes in the states.  Lake Baringo for example is a fairly large lake but only about 15 feet deep at its deepest.  It is only one of two fresh water lakes in the rift valley.  So the choices to go boating in Kenya are very limited to say the least.  Keep in mind that this is Africa and the critters that call Lake Baringo home include hippo's and crocodiles.  I ask how many of you would like to go tubing on Lake Baringo today?  Could you imagine tubing into a hippo and how upset he would be?  How about a crocodile nibbling at your toes?  I really found this to be very amusing that this is even something that would be considered.  Could you see dad asking the kids "hey kids you want to go tubing today on Lake Baringo"  "Sure dad let's go do you think we will see any crocodiles today"?

Tomorrow we are off to the school and church site.

Take care and God bless.

Dave

   

No comments:

Post a Comment