Thursday, July 7, 2011

Day 60 Moi's Bridge July 7, 2011

Greetings

Well it has been 60 days since my arrival here in Kenya.  It really seems like it has been a long time since I have had a Wendy’s spicy Kuku sandwich.  In less then two weeks I will be landing in Detroit and I am going to look for the first Wendy’s and order two spicy Kuku sandwiches and a maybe a single burger too.  I was reading somewhere about last meals on death row.  I think I know what I would have.  After my first two trips to Kenya my first meal back in the states was a spicy Kuku sandwich.  I guess I am a little Kuku for a spicy Kuku sandwich.

This morning Hezron picked Kym and I up at Taidy’s restaurant in Eldama Ravine at eleven o two in the morning.  Talk about timing.  He had at least a three hour drive from Kakamega and to be within two minutes wow!  He might have been right on time I think my phone might be off by a few minutes.  We said our goodbyes to Ken and Susan and they were off to Kijabe to meet up with their sons Joseph and Robert at the Rift Valley Academy.  We had to do a minor repair to Hezron’s car before we headed off to Moi’s Bridge.

After about 4 hours we arrived at Kym’s home in Moi’s Bridge.  Once we got out of the car the very first thing I noticed was passion fruit vines.  Kym had no idea that his uncle (neighbor) was growing passion fruit.  We later found out that they had planted two hundred seedlings and they look really great.  They are about to get their first harvest and they told me that they will sell at the market as 80 Ksh a kilo.  By the looks of the plants it is no worry to grow passion fruit in Moi’s Bridge.  Kym and his parents have plenty of land to grow an orchard we just need to find a caretaker.

Passion fruit on Kym's uncles land in Moi's Bridge




Another view of the orchard



Here's a spot near some bananas



It started to rain and we decided it was best to leave before we got stuck in the mud.  We left Moi’s bridge somewhere around four and arrived in Kakamega around six.  Tomorrow we will be going to Mt. Elgon to meet up with Pastor Joseph and look at his acreage for passion fruit.  On the way back we are going to have dinner with the Associate Bishop Charles and his family to celebrate the purchase of his motorbike.  Words cannot describe how happy he is be working to own his own motorbike.  Paying three hundred shillings a day in rent for three years vs. one hundred and seven a day for a year to own is a real Godsend to him.

I have received a few messages on how to help with the food crisis in Northern Kenya.  Sometimes pictures cannot describe the reality of what is happening.  I urge for a spicy Kuku sandwich and I will satisfy that craving whence I get home because I can.  For these people they do not have the means therefore they cannot and most likely will continue to be hungry.  It’s not that I feel guilty about my spicy Kuku sandwich it’s the feeling of despair and my inability and urge to help feed these people.  My prayer is for every one to have their fill of whatever they desire.  On Sunday it was only beans, rice, and vegetable fat but for the two hundred or so that got to eat that day it was Manna from heaven.  God bless all of you that are concerned and praying for these wonderful people throughout the Samburu area.  Ken and Susan’s ministry is not just in Maralal but stretches across many square kilometers over a vast area of scrub land.

Here are the details for donations that Ken sent me.  Ken also told me that AIM is moving their offices from New York to Atlanta in August.

Donors should send their check payable to Africa Inland Mission with the memo field indicating: Kenneth and Susan Black, Project 017580-031 (Samburu).

The mailing address effective 1 August 2011 is: 

Africa Inland Mission
Missionary Support
P.O. Box 3611
Peachtree City, GA 30269-7611

The mailing address through 31 July 2011 is:

Africa Inland Mission
Missionary Support
P.O. Box 178
Pearl River, NY 10965-0178

Again thank you for your prayers and support they are greatly appreciated.

Take care and God bless

Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment