Monday, July 18, 2011

Day 71 Nairobi July 18, 2011

Greetings

This morning got up early and started out to the bustling airstrip in Kakamega at sharp.  Within about fifteen minutes we were at the airstrip and my driver was assisting me with my baggage to the terminal for check in.  I had my baggage weighed and they told me that my baggage and back pack was about twenty pounds to heavy.  I thought I packed lite with only one suitcase and a back pack.  The plane had nineteen seats and there were only five of us on the flight.  Out of us five I was the only one that had a piece of luggage everyone else just had a brief case or backpack.  I guess my overweight bag really did not matter that much.

After I got my ticket there was a nice security dude and he told me that he did not have an x-ray device so he was going to have to remove everything from my bags and inspect them.  He ran across my extra Slim Jims in my backpack and he wondered what they were.  I didn’t want to tell them that they were little sticks of dynamite.  It could have been an international incident.  I gave him a few to eat later.  After he checked my luggage it was time for us to become more familiar and he gave me the TSA treatment.  I would have to say that there are not going to be any terrorists coming through Kakamega.

Kakamega Airstrip my journey starts here



Fly540 the Southwest of Kenya



We were supposed to land at Jumo Kenyatta Airport in Nairobi but right before the flight they told us that we were going to Wilson Airport instead.  I quickly called Pastor Ososo that was heading to Kenyatta Airport to meet me.  I told him I would arrive at Wilson at .   Pastor Ososo was there to meet me and then we headed out to Matasia to see the ground nut project and the new cereal shop.  The cereal shop is doing very well and we need to look at finding a better source for his supplies to increase their margin.  After the shop we headed up to Pastor Ososo's home and they showed me the new bag sealer.  Perfect seal and no burnt fingers.  They are awaiting the approval of the certificate and once that happens and they get a label then off to the stores to increase sales.  After the visit in Matasia we headed over to the UMC District Headquarters in Kayole to meet with Pastor Odongo and his Pastor Ososo's on Reuben.  We spent a couple of hours working on his district blog.  After our visit to the headquarters it was off to the airport for my departure later tonight.

Pastor Ososo and staff at new Cereals Shop in Matasia



Some of the cereals they sell



New bag sealer and ground nuts



Sealed ten shilling ground nut bag



Sealed simsims in the bags



I made it through the process pretty quickly then went and found a bite to eat.  Found a nice little eatery at the end of the airport.  I had a bean and cheese burrito.  It was pretty tasty.  Then I splurged and had a piece of New York style cheesecake and a cup of Joe.  I now have another couple of hours to wait until my plane leaves.  I have found out that this plane is overbooked and they will be looking for volunteers to stay behind.  I already got one $1200 voucher for this trip when I was denied boarding in Amsterdam on the way here.  Another free ticket would really be a nice way to end the trip.

I am not sure what it is about Kenya.  I am in the main international airport here in Nairobi and there is no power.  I am sitting here in the dark again writing my blog.  I hope that the control tower and radar are working.

Take care and God bless

Dave

1 comment:

  1. MUBER takes delivery services to the next level in Nairobi. Having a reliable, safe, fast and affordable provider is all you need for your personal or professional deliveries in Nairobi. With a large fleet of motorbikes and a professional team of riders we are here to serve you 24/7fast deliveries in nairobi

    ReplyDelete