Sunday, July 17, 2011

Day 70 Kakamega July 17, 2011

Greetings

Today is my last full day here in Kenya and tomorrow morning I will start the long journey back to the states.  Today I finished up some documents and printed them out for Hezron.  I had my laundry done and everything is packed ready to go. 

Tomorrow I will wake up early and have the guest house shuttle take me to the Kakamega airstrip at .  I had asked the lady at the fly540 office what time I needed to be at the airstrip and she told me that I should be there thirty minutes before departure.  Not only does she work the ticket office in town she is also the gate attendant at the airstrip.  I wonder if she is also the security agent at the airstrip too.  I remember being at the airstrip up in Kisima and the terminal building was a two stall outhouse with no doors.  My flight to Nairobi is about an hour or so and will arrive at around nine thirty in the morning.  I want to take time to say thank you to her for getting me a reduced priced ticket.  I went on line and the fare was one hundred seventeen US dollars.  When I went to the fly540 office the other day she told me the fare was about ninety one US dollars.  I had reserved my flight and when I came back to pay later she had gotten the fare reduced to sixty five US dollars.  Not bad for a last minute flight and the relief that I will not have to take the eleven hour grueling bus trip across the country.

I had taken that bus ride once before on my first visit and let me tell you it was no fun.  It was really bumpy, dirty, and hot in that bus.  Once we got down into the Rift Valley the temperature in the bus became quite unbearable and I kept putting down the window to get some fresh dusty air.  The guy in the seat in front of me kept putting it back up every time another vehicle came by so we would not get a face full of dust.  Once you get past Nakuru it isn’t so bad.

Pastor Ososo will meet me at the airport in Nairobi around ten and we will spend the day together before I have to be back at the airport later that evening for my departure back to the states tomorrow night.

Take care and God bless

Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment